38 days ago I embarked on a new lifestyle–a keto lifestyle to be exact.
What I didn’t know if that this keto lifestyle was going to change who I was, in a good way.
So what exactly is keto? I’ve been answering this for 38 days and here’s the gist of what I tell people:
The ketogenic diet is a very low-carb, high-fat diet that shares many similarities with the Atkins and low-carb diets. It involves drastically reducing carbohydrate intake and replacing it with fat. This reduction in carbs puts your body into a metabolic state called ketosis. When this happens, your body becomes incredibly efficient at burning fat for energy. It also turns fat into ketones in the liver, which can supply energy for the brain. Ketogenic diets can cause massive reductions in blood sugar and insulin levels. This, along with the increased ketones, has numerous health benefits .
So basically being on keto has been amazing for my boyfriend and I, so that being said, I wanted to share some of what I have been discovering during these past 38 days!
- The first 4 days suck but after that it’s all good! We definitely experienced the keto flu, but it doesn’t last very long and luckily we had each other!
- The first 10lbs came off so quick! Mostly because it was water weight, but still, we felt instantly better!
- I am not bloated like ever! Seriously, not bloated, not even a little bit
- Having your monthly period will affect things. Last month I didn’t lose any weight during that time and here we are again, so for this week I’ll stay off the scale.
- The cravings have stopped. I don’t crave junk food at all. The only time I want junk food is when I’m too lazy to cook or prepare something.
- I haven’t taken my IBS pills since starting!
- Don’t weight yourself every day. After the first 10 came off so quickly we thought it would be the same moving forward but its not. You can expect to lose 1-2lbs/week.
- Try intermittent fasting. I tried it for 4 days. Fast for 16hrs, eat for 8hrs. It’s not bad on the weekends, during the week was a little rough.
- Get on keto with a partner or have a support group. Some days are rough and you want to eat your feelings. Doing this with my boyfriend has brought us closer together!
- Be prepared to explain yourself constantly, no one understands what keto is unless you are on it.
- The grocery bill will be high BUT you won’t be spending money on junk anymore.
- You’ll have way more energy. I thought this was a joke, but no joke.
- Meal prepping is a pain but completely necessary.
- You can put bacon on EVERYTHING.
- There are tons of cookbooks and websites with loads of information. Do your homework before starting.
So there you have it, my list of 15 reasons why I am still on keto. And no, this is not a sponsored post. I’m just literally so much happier health wise since starting this lifestyle. Yes, it’s a lifestyle, not a diet. Today I am down 15.4lbs 🙂